Monday, November 9, 2009

Glucose Test

Had to take the glucose test this afternoon and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I've heard horrible things about how nasty the glucose drink tastes, but it wasn't so bad for me. I drank it quickly before it had a chance to warm up and felt a little queasy when it hit my empty stomach all at once. I didn't even mind the hour wait~ I was able to read (for fun!!) a couple chapters in a new book. I did get paranoid when the waiting room started to fill up and there were adults of all ages coughing without covering. Didn't they learn anything in kindergarten?! It's one of the first rules they teach nowadays...cough into your elbow, not your hand. The other rule I'm hearing more and more is don't wait to be called on to go potty, just get up and go. Both are sound rules for the rest of our lives, right? I felt my eyes go wide and fought to keep my mouth from falling open at one point- an adult coughed without covering, and seconds later, her child coughed into her elbow. Guess the trickle-up-effect doesn't always work.
On another note all together, towards the end of my stay, a young family came in for the son's weekly blood test. He couldn't have been older than 4, could have been small for his age but had the linguistic structure of a child not yet in school. He was bald and red-cheeked. The office staff all new him by name and asked how chemo was going and what steroids he was currently on...One of the front-desk staff asked why his cheeks were so red and the mom explained it was from a new kind of chemo. A side effect of the chemo turns the child's bodily fluids red. He cries out red tears and they burn his cheeks as they run down his face. I almost started crying. My eyes filled up with tears and I had to start thinking of something else. No one should have tears that burn, much less a precious babe like that. Made my worries about my trip to the lab so silly. Stopped me from complaining and I didn't even flinch as the tech inserted the needle. If that child can do it every week, I can do it this time with no further complaints. He and is family are in my prayers and I hope his new chemo does the trick.

No comments: