Tuesday, July 29, 2008

P.S.


I was scrolling through the pictures of our Cleo's Bath hike and found this one.  Travis was ahead of me on the hike and we were talking about how happy we were that we didn't see any lightning.  All of a sudden, Travis jumps at least 2 feet in the air and steps back to prevent me from walking forward onto this pretty little snake.  I have no idea what it is, and I'm not particularly scared of snakes...but Travis has an aversion to them.  I guess he's walked onto a few rattlesnakes while hunting and actually heard them rattle at him.  When I asked him what he did when that happened, he said he disposed of the snake before the snake could dispose of him.  I've never seen a rattlesnake in nature, but I have seen my share of other snakes and I don't normally get scared.  I get scared when I see tarantulas wandering down the center of the road (like we see almost every year at Don Pedr0).  Anyway, back to the picture, I guess the snake was sitting in the center of the path, sunning itself, when Travis startled it.  The snake quickly slithered into the underbrush and I tried to follow it to document that it had actually happened.  As you can see, the snake doesn't even blend into the surroundings.  I thought they were suppose to be camouflaged by their markings. Whatever the case, he was beautiful.

No comments: