Wednesday, May 25, 2011

A good book stays in my mind always...

When I was in grade school, I feel in love with books. I would take out as many as our school librarian would allow and then go to the city library and take out as many as they would allow. My mom still talks about how I would routinely have four books going at once and still manage to keep all the story lines straight; she was also somewhat amazed that I would reread certain stories if I was ever *gasp* out of books. I still do that. I have a stack of books on my nightstand, a few in my car, and one in my knit bag. I don't know why... it's not like life would end if I didn't have something to read (...right?!) It takes me longer to get through books these days, but I still agonize over what book to start reading next. Anyway... back to grade school books... one of my first favorite books was Barbara Cooney's Miss Rumphius. I loved the illustrations and the thought that one person could make the world a more beautiful place.
Why am I telling you all this, you ask? Because I've found it! I've found where Miss Rumphius must have lived...







Okay, so they're not lupines but these wildflowers are still breathtaking. This is the path to one of our favorite beaches in Davenport. We have fallen into a delicious routine of stopping at Whale City Bakery Bar and Grill for a couple of coffees and fresh pastries on our way to this dog-friendly beach. If you're ever in the area, check out Davenport Landing. It's small, secluded and surfable (but sharky!!!)

No comments: